Do you want to know more about OPT? Check out the section here Already Applied but having trouble with your application? Check out this section here
You are eligible to apply for a one-time 17-month OPT extension, beyond the initial 12 months of OPT, if you meet all of the following conditions:
- You are currently have OPT.
- You have a job or job offer from an E-Verify employer.
- You have not previously applied for OPT Extension
- You completed a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) field. [ STEM DEGREE LIST DOWNLOAD ]
- You have a extended I20 to cover the OPT period if approved.
How and When to Apply
USCIS recommends you apply up to 120 days before your OPT expiration. You can continue to work for up to 180 days while the application is pending.
- 2″ X 2″ Passport Size Picture- Walgreen’s – $8.58/-
- Application I-765 (Click to open the Document) and Download Instructions to fill it out Click Here for Instructions)
- EAD Photocopy ; front and back
- I-94 Photocopy ; You can now obtain your travel I-94 here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/
- I-20 , issued within 30 days of application of I-765 ( Get a new one issued with a new starting and ending date of OPT)
- Passport Demographic information ( All pages which has Addresses and Names and Other info)
- Visa Photocopy
- Proof of STEM Degree (Examples, Masters ; Masters Degree, transcripts, etc)
- Check for $ 380*/- made to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
* This fee is subjected to change, to get the latest fees, go to https://www.uscis.gov/i-765
- Complete the I-765 form, Download and Print
- Enclose all the documents listed in the required section above and mail it to the prefered address. See http://www.uscis.gov/i-765-addresses for all addresses. Consult your international advisor if you are unsure of the correct address.
Possible Changes to the STEM OPT and H-1B Cap-Gap Extensions
Read the latest post on OPT rulings here