So, we were very excited one day to find out that a new member would be joining us. Which brought us some old memories back, including the days we spent with my mother and mother in law. We are blessed to have their guidance and expertise.One of the very important things an Indian grandmother-to-be does is to prepare Goond Ke La-Doo for the mother-to-be.
Goond Ke La-Doo: The power snack is a delicious power packed ball, made with Ghee (clarified butter) nuts, herbs and ingredients with medicinal value. Vital for postpartum mothers for recovery. It helps in providing warmth to the body, has healing powers which will minimize back aches, provides nutrients and helps establish and sustain milk supply.
This is not a detailed recipe and you do not need one. We used basic techniques, simple measurements and ingredients that are already powdered etc, All ingredients used are 100% organic.
We had to make our own ghee from organic unsalted butter as organic ghee is not that easily available. For a homemade ghee, check out this recipe (link coming soon).
First go Shopping! You will need
|Prep Time||1 hour|
|Cook Time||2 hours|
|Passive Time||1 hour|
- 100 g Ginger Powder अदरक चूर्ण, Adrak Churn
- 100 g Butea Frondosa कमरकस, Kamarkas
- 100 g Cardamom Seeds इलायची के बीज, Elichi Seeds
- 250 cl Coconut Powder नारियल पाउडर, Nariyal Powder
- 25 g Poppy Seeds खसखस, Khaskas
- 1 TSP Ajowan caraway अजवायन
Mix Them Herbs & Spices
- Fry all the nuts in Ghee
- Fry the Edible Gum in Ghee
- Grind or Break the Raisins, Dates and Figs
- Fry the dry fruits
- Blend the fried Edible Gum
- Fry and Melt Jaggery in Ghee
- While mixture is still hot, start making the balls!
If you are interested to read more about Kamarkas and its benefits, check out these links!
How much edible gum in this recipe? It doesn’t say…